But if the 5AM rumor is true, I want to make my mornings go as smooth as possible. Between taking Charlie the doxie pup out, making breakfast, and getting ready, I need to find some areas to cut out, so I looked at what I can do with breakfast. I find that the most filling breakfasts take a little bit of time to make and eat, at least with my schedule. I decided to find something that would be filling, healthy, and EASY! But, I also wanted something that I could take with me.
|Sorry for my iPhone quality photo!|
Here's the thing about this recipe, as delicious as these burritos are this recipe makes a ton! 14 burritos in fact. I found that it's easier to make the entire recipe than to use half a can of black beans and half a package of sausage. Plus, do the work once and be set for 2 weeks. Enjoy!
Protein Packed Breakfast Burritos
Inspired by Amanda's Cookin'
Makes 14 burritos
1 lb Turkey Breakfast Sausage, preferably reduced something if you can find it
1 large Onion, chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Anaheim or Poblano Pepper
1 can Low Sodium Black Beans, drained
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese (or cheese of choice)
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Cumin
14 Whole Wheat Tortillas Burrito Size
- Turn broiler onto high. Char peppers on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Remove from broiler, wrap in foil to let it steam, and let sit for 5-10 minutes. While the pepper is steaming, prepare sausage mixture.
- In a pan over medium high heat, cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat if necessary.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the skin and seeds from the pepper and chop.
- Add the chopped pepper and black beans to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until beans are warmed through.
- Remove sausage mixture from the pan and place in a bowl. Add the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Wipe the pan with a paper towel. Add the butter.
- When melted, add the eggs, salt, pepper, and cumin. Scramble the eggs and cook to 90% done. Remove from heat.
- Add the sausage mixture to the eggs. Stir to combine.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture onto the middle of the burrito. Fold in the sides and roll up. Wrap in wax paper and tape sealed. Continue with the remaining burrito shells.
- Place the burritos into a labeled freezer bag. Freeze when the burritos are completely cooled.
- To thaw: remove from wax paper and microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
Calories: 261 Total Fat: 11.3 g Sodium: 559 mg Total Carb: 25.1 g Fiber: 5.7 g Protein: 15.0 g Vitamin C: 15% DV Calcium: 20% DV Iron: 14% DV