Monday, December 10, 2012

Protein Packed Breakfast Burritos

There is a rumor floating around the dietetic interns that we have to report to our preceptor sites at 5AM.  If that is true, it is going to be a rough 7 weeks. But I don't care because the stress and early mornings are well worth it because in the end I'll be able to sit for my board exams and work in the field I love.

But if the 5AM rumor is true, I want to make my mornings go as smooth as possible.  Between taking Charlie the doxie pup out, making breakfast, and getting ready, I need to find some areas to cut out, so I looked at what I can do with breakfast.  I find that the most filling breakfasts take a little bit of time to make and eat, at least with my schedule.  I decided to find something that would be filling, healthy, and EASY!  But, I also wanted something that I could take with me.

Sorry for my iPhone quality photo!
That's where the breakfast burritos come to me.  I hate buying something that I could easily make.  Besides, processed meals are way too salty for me and I never stay full for longThese burritos taste just like the store bought ones, but better.  Way better.  So much so that when I took a taster bite I knew I had to have an entire burrito right then.  Boy was I glad I did! Delicious!! And the best part was that I stayed full for a long time, which is exactly what I wanted.  So I'll make a batch of these pop them in the freezer and reheat for my early morning breakfast.

Here's the thing about this recipe, as delicious as these burritos are this recipe makes a ton! 14 burritos in fact.  I found that it's easier to make the entire recipe than to use half a can of black beans and half a package of sausage.  Plus, do the work once and be set for 2 weeks.  Enjoy!

Protein Packed Breakfast Burritos
Inspired by Amanda's Cookin'
Makes 14 burritos 

1 lb Turkey Breakfast Sausage, preferably reduced something if you can find it
1 large Onion, chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Anaheim or Poblano Pepper
1 can Low Sodium Black Beans, drained
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese (or cheese of choice)
8 Eggs
1 tbsp Butter
Salt
Pepper
1 tbsp Cumin
14 Whole Wheat Tortillas Burrito Size
  1. Turn broiler onto high.  Char peppers on all sides, about 10 minutes total.  Remove from broiler, wrap in foil to let it steam, and let sit for 5-10 minutes.  While the pepper is steaming, prepare sausage mixture.
  2. In a pan over medium high heat, cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes.  Drain excess fat if necessary.
  3. Add onions and garlic.  Cook until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
  4. Remove the skin and seeds from the pepper and chop.
  5. Add the chopped pepper and black beans to the pan.  Cook for 5 minutes, until beans are warmed through.
  6. Remove sausage mixture from the pan and place in a bowl.  Add the cheese.  Stir to combine.
  7. Wipe the pan with a paper towel.  Add the butter.
  8. When melted, add the eggs, salt, pepper, and cumin.  Scramble the eggs and cook to 90% done.  Remove from heat.
  9. Add the sausage mixture to the eggs.  Stir to combine.
  10. Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture onto the middle of the burrito.  Fold in the sides and roll up.  Wrap in wax paper and tape sealed.  Continue with the remaining burrito shells.  
  11. Place the burritos into a labeled freezer bag.  Freeze when the burritos are completely cooled.
  12. To thaw: remove from wax paper and microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. 
Nutrition Content
Calories:
261 Total Fat: 11.3 g Sodium: 559 mg Total Carb: 25.1 g Fiber: 5.7 g Protein: 15.0 g Vitamin C: 15% DV Calcium: 20% DV Iron: 14% DV

    No comments:

    Post a Comment