Thursday, November 29, 2012

Kielbasa Cabbage

It wasn't until last new years that I finally gave cabbage a chance.  I think this feeling mostly comes from my only childhood memory of cabbage.  Growing up Dad would make huge batches of Hungarian cabbage rolls.  When I say huge, I mean a 10 quart soup pot filled with cabbage rolls.  My sister and I did not eat any of them (we thought they stunk), which left my parents eating them for dinner that week.  And maybe for lunch the next.  I always knew when Dad was making them because the smell would wake me up on Sunday morning.  And I wouldn't come out of my room the rest of the day.


But on New Year's Day, I had some of the best cabbage I've ever had.  It had the perfect balance of sweet and bitter.  The cabbage had a nice crunch to it still.  And it was all rounded out by the sausage and potatoes.  This recipe is very simple to make and the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes (even cold).

Kielbasa Cabbage
Makes 8 servings

1 lb Kielbasa Turkey Sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
4 tbsp Butter or Olive Oil, divided
1 large Cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 large Onion, chopped
3-4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
4 Red Potatoes, cubed
1 tsp Paprika
Salt
Pepper

  1. Add cubed potatoes to a pot.  Add water until just covered.  Add salt.  Cook until potatoes are tender.
  2. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp butter.  Add sausage.  Cook until browned, about 5 minutes  Remove and set aside.
  3. Add remaining butter to pot.  Sauté cabbage, onions, and garlic until soft, about 10-15 minutes.
  4. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.  I like to add plenty of pepper.
  5. Combine cabbage, sausage, and potatoes.
Nutrition Content
Calories: 266 Total Fat: 12.6 g Sodium: 665 mg Total Carb: 28.4 g Fiber: 5.7 g Protein: 12.8 g Vitamin C: 110% DV Calcium: 10% DV
Iron:
11% DV

No comments:

Post a Comment