Friday, November 9, 2012

Chili

I love chili!  Especially on days when its cold or rainy or snowy.  It is my go to comfort food.  Even in the summer when I'm feeling down, I want chili.  I don't make it though because of the hot, humid days.  But when the first cool day hits, usually sometime in early October, I whip up a batch.


I love this recipe.  It's extremely easy to make, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.  When it's cold, I always keep them in the pantry.  And the fact that it uses ground turkey instead of ground beef, is amazing.  I don't even miss it.  The one thing I hate is that there are too many canned ingredients.  I haven't had the time (or patience) to learn how to reconstitute dried beans.  Once my internship is over, it is my goal to do so.  Then learn how to can them.  Until then, store bought canned beans it is!

Chili
Makes 6-8 servings

1 medium Onion, chopped
2-3 Garlic Cloved, finely chopped
1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 (15 oz) can Reduced Sodium Black Beans
1 (15 oz) can Bush's Chili Beans (or preferred brand)
1 (15 oz) can No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
1 1/2 cups Beef Broth, plus more as needed
3 tbsp Chili Powder
1-2 tsp Paprika
Salt
Pepper

  1. Spray a large pot with cooking spray.  Place over medium high heat.
  2. Add ground turkey.  Cook until mostly brown.  Add salt and pepper to taste and 1 tbsp chili powder.  Stir to combine.
  3. Add onion and garlic.  Cook for 2 minutes.
  4. Stir in tomato paste.  Cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Add all the beans, tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups beef broth, paprika, and remaining chili powder.  Stir to combine.  Reduce heat to medium low.  Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add more beef broth if the chili becomes too dry for your tastes.
  6. Serve hot.  Top with desired toppings of shredded cheese, sour cream, crackers....
Nutrition Content
Calories: 189 Total Fat: 2.2 g Sodium: 1318 mg Total Carb: 22.3 g Fiber: 7.5 g Protein: 20.1 g

No comments:

Post a Comment